The Shillong Law College was established in the year 1964 as an Evening College. The Shillong Law College is registered under the Societies Registration Act, No. XXI of 1860. The College has been enlisted under Section 2 (f) and 12 (B) of the UGC Act, 1956 and has also been recognized by the Bar Council of India. Initially, the College was affiliated to Guahati University. In the year 1973 when North Eastern Hill University was established, the College came under the North Eastern Hill University and was granted Permanent Affiliation in 2007.
At present the College is imparting 3 Year LL.B.course. Thousands of students have passed out from this College and many of them are in high positions in various parts of the country in various capacities including Hon’ble Judges of the High Courts, Advocate General & Additional Advocate General of the State. One of the former teachers of the College Shri S N Phukan has scaled to the high office of the Chief Justice of the High Court of Himachal Pradesh and later became Judge of the Supreme Court of India. Justice Home Choudhury of Gauhati High Court, Justice A.P. Subbah of Gauhati High Court, later of Sikkim High Court and Justice B. Lamare of the Gauhati High Court were the Students of the College. At present Hon’ble Justice S.R. Sen of the High Court of Meghalaya and Justice Nelson Sailo of Gauhati High Court were the shining products of this College and several of them have held the posts of Registrar General of High Court of Meghalaya and so also as the District & Session Judges, Additional District and Session Judges, Asst District Session Judges and Judicial Magistrate.